Winning Start For Rahman Gumbo

Chaos now seems to be part of Mutare City RoversDNA after fans were left to fight running battles with overzealous club security officials just to gain entrance into Sakubva to watch this dull Castle Lager Premiership soccer encounter.

Mutare City Rovers . . . . . . . . . . (1) 1
Chicken Inn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (1) 3

Mutare City Rovers were recently fined $2 000 by the Premier Soccer League for their fans’ unsporting behaviour.

Although veteran Chicken Inn gaffer Rahman Gumbo got off to a flying start as he led the Castle Lager Premiership champions to an impressive away triumph, the match will be remembered more because of the chaos that reigned at the turnstiles than what transpired on the field of play.
Chicken Inn gaffer Rahman Gumbo got off to a flying start
Personnel manning the only two entrance points were overwhelmed by the sizeable crowd that braved the chilly weather to watch this match and chaos reigned as fans stampede to gain entrance just before the match.

While some were injured in the melee, Daily News journalist Bernard Chiketo counts himself lucky not to have sustained injuries after a vicious dog that was set on him by one of the security officials almost left his trousers in tatters.

As if that was enough, several journalists were locked outside the perimeter fence and were denied the chance to have post match interviews with coaches and players as overzealous club security officials employed the law of the jungle.

However, the match against City Rovers was Gumbo’s first encounter in charge of the Gamecocks following the departure of Joey Antipas.

Tafadzwa Kutinyu, George Majika and Edmore Chirambadare’s goals were all that Chicken Inn needed to secure the all important three points.

Mutare City Rovers started the match on the offensive and could have surged ahead four minutes into the match but Elisha Chimhaka’s clumsy effort, with only the goalkeeper to beat, was parried to safety by Chicken Inn goalkeeper Elvis Chipezeze.

Ten minutes into the match, Kutinyu propelled the visitors into the lead from a rebound at close range.

Ball watching Chicken Inn defenders allowed Kudakwashu Gurure to restore parity in the 31st minute with a blistering shot that hit the roof of the net leaving Chipezeze well beaten.

Chicken Inn were soon back in the lead after George Majika shoved the ball home from a close range again from a rebound in the 57th minute.

75th minute substitute Chirambadare put his name on the score-sheet as he sealed victory for the Bulawayo side with a beautiful 30-metre volley that beat Mutare City Rovers’ goalkeeper Philip Nhete all systems out. Manica Post

- See more at:
Zimbabwe 4745631590557805282

Post a Comment